Despite Fears Of Being Shamed, Mom Shares Terrifying Washing Machine Story To Warn Parents

"We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die."

Many parents would agree that they spend more time with the washing machine than they do with their spouse. But one mom has taken to social media to share how dangerous this modern miracle can be.

On Facebook, Lindsey McIver explained how her husband recently replaced their old, broken washing machine with one of the front-loading variety. Of course, while they were sure to tell their children not to touch the machine, as any diligent and responsible parent would, kids are kids, and oftentimes warnings aren't enough. 

Recommended

"Early Tuesday morning we were woken up by our 4-year-old son who was crying so hard he could barely talk," McIver wrote. "As I was trying to understand what he was saying, my husband flew out of bed and down the stairs. It was then that the realization hit. He had said: Kloe. Inside. Washer."

"By the time we reached the laundry room in the basement, my 3-year-old daughter Kloe was LOCKED inside the airtight washing machine. It was tumbling and filling with water. She was screaming but you couldn't hear her," McIver explained. "We were able to quickly stop it and unlock the door and get her out. Aside from a couple of small bumps on her head and wet clothes, she was fine."

"After going through all the 'what if's' and 'could have's' we know we are very blessed and God had mercy on our sweet daughter," she added. "I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine. We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one."

McIver noted that she was hesitant to share her story initially. "First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and second, because it's just really hard to re-live," she wrote. Ultimately, however, McIver knew her family's ordeal could serve as an important lesson for other families and potentially save the lives of other children who might otherwise not be found in time.

"I took this picture after we secured the door shut with a child safety lock," she explained. "We also found a child lock feature on the settings that, as long as it is engaged, will not allow the washing machine to start. But it does not lock the door. We hadn't even used the machine yet so we hadn't looked at any of the settings. Also, it obviously took two curious kids to pull this off. I want to encourage anybody who has this type of front loading washing machine and small children, or even grandkids who visit, to lock the door with a child safety lock and always keep the child lock setting on!"

"I realize that there are ways we could've prevented this from happening," McIver added. "This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that's what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn't do anyone any good. We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough."

As McIver emphasized, these types of accidents can happen to anyone. That's why it can be a good thing for any and all parents to share their experiences in an effort to shield others from possible tragedy.

Cover image via Enrique Ramos / Shutterstock

(H/T: Scary Mommy)

GET SOME POSITIVITY IN YOUR INBOX

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and exclusive updates.