Colorado mother Nicole Bechtle had just finished feeding her 3-month-old son Zane when her worst fears were suddenly realized: the infant choked and stopped breathing. Within seconds, little Zane, who was born 3 months premature, began turning blue.
"I don't know how long it was," Bechtle told NBC affiliate KUSA, "It felt like an eternity."
Even though his mother was trained in CPR, he didn't respond. That's when she dialed 911.
A dispatcher at West Metro Fire Rescue calmed Bechtle down and walked her through infant chest compressions.
The dispatcher's advice paid off.
"That cry that most people would find annoying was like an "ahhh moment" to me," Bechtle told KUSA. "The weight on my shoulders from that situation was lifted and I knew he was going to be okay at that moment."
The 911 call was posted to West Metro Fire Rescue's Facebook page to help educate the public and encourage people to learn CPR.