With Lent around the corner, (a time of year preceding Easter when Christians try to ditch bad habits), it's common for people, regardless of their background, to try to find ways to live a happier life.
We will never stop bettering ourselves or wanting to be as happy as possible. But the good news is that life constantly gives us chances to try.
Whether you have a religious reason for striving to be happy or just a basic human desire to be fulfilled, the ideas below are a good place to start:
1. Stop caring about what other people think.
2. Find a hobby, like crafting, volunteering or baking, that makes you happy.
3. Uncover your passions and find a way to ignite them again.
4. Pick a loved one every few weeks, and check in.
5. Go to your local animal shelter, and play with some cuddly creatures.
6. Add one, new healthy item to your grocery list.
7. Tell those you love that you love them more often.
8. Smile at strangers.
9. For every bad or worrisome thought you have, think of a positive one.
10. If you can afford it, put money aside for a trip.
11. Write your goals down.
12. Learn a new skill, even if it's just for fun.
13. Make an effort to really listen to people when they talk and not just wait for your turn to speak.
14. Reach out to friends who have been there for you, and let go of the ones who aren't.
15. Don't feel bad if you don't get that Instagram shot. You got to enjoy the moment without it.
16. Say "yes" more.
17. Ask for help when you need it.
18. Stop yourself when you start to find excuses. Instead, find solutions.
19. Forgive those who have wronged you, but don't forget that you have been wronged.
20. Clean every once in a while, but don't let it get to you when you can't.
21. Choose your fights wisely.
22. Take a day all to yourself where you do absolutely nothing.
23. Make a list of things you want to do and try to make them happen.
24. When things go wrong, remember the feeling won't last forever.
25. Tell the truth, even if it hurts.
26. But don't hurt others out of malice or ill will.
27. Don't settle just because it's convenient.
28. Get lost in music occasionally, whether it be by dancing around your room or a night on the town.
29. Know that love and happiness come in time.
Okay, one more:
30. Give yourself that time.