For someone with a name your grandmother would probably recognize, Nicki Minaj is a bit underrated. Yeah, she makes every dance move look effortless, but there's way more to the hip-hop queen than catchy beats and pink wigs.
Beside being one of the most impressive lyricists out there right now, Nicki knows how to keep it super real. Being successful in the entertainment industry requires serious business savvy, and doing so as a woman takes scrap. Nicki's incredibly wise and makes a point of seeing herself as a leader, not an exception.
Here are some drops of wisdom from Nicki that remind us all why we love her so much.
1. "Women are uncomfortable talking about money. I know it's taboo to discuss it at work... You have to ask questions. 'What is this person getting?' Do your research."
2. "As women, we are vulnerable and emotional, and that's OK. I had to learn quickly that if you don't have a sense of self, you can be destroyed by a man."
3. "I demand that I climax. I think women should demand that. I have a friend who's never had an orgasm in her life. In her life! That hurts my heart. It's cuckoo to me."
4. "You're not gonna tell me who I am, I'm gonna tell you who I am."
5. "If a man did the same video with sexy women in it, no one would care. You’re talking about newspeople who don’t even know anything about hip-hop culture. It’s so disrespectful for them to even comment on something they have no idea about."
6. "When I am assertive, I'm a b****. When a man is assertive, he's a boss."
7. "Maybe your weird is my normal. Who's to say?"
8. "You have to know that as long as you love who you are — your morals, your values, that type of stuff — you're OK."
9. "Every woman is multifaceted."
10. "There are sexual things that I do that aren't for a man. I feel empowered sometimes by being sexy and being comfortable enough to be sexy on camera."
11. "When you don't make moves and when you don't climb up the ladder, everybody loves you because you're not competition."
Like this story? Click the button below to share!