25 Quotes That Will Become Your Daily Mantras
"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
1. "Life is a balance of holding on and letting go."
These posters are the work of Ryan McArthur: graphic designer, artist, family man, and Canadian. He's the creator of Design Different, a store that produces all sorts of graphic works like zombie safe zone maps, movie posters, and hand-lettered posters. We were taken with his work and sat down with him to discuss his illustrated quote series.
4. "All animals are to be found in men and each of them exists in some man, sometimes several at a time."
Why did you pick these quotes?
"Some quotes that I've used have always spoken to me and some I just thought would make a great visual," McArthur said. "Most importantly I try and find ones that speak to life in general. It's crucial that each quote has a deeper meaning to it so people can relate."
7. "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
9. "Art is not imitation, but illusion."
How did the project start?
"I was actually a web designer for over 13 years, but with all the programming, wire-framing and debugging I was getting tired of it all," McArthur said. "So I went back to my print roots putting pencil to paper. I never thought I would actually make a career out of it, just sort of stumbled into it all and have never looked back!"
12. "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."
14. "It's not the length of life, but the depth of life."
16. "You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop."
Is there any one quote that speaks to you above the rest?
"I think the Albert Einstein quote 'Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving,'" McArthur said. "I believe that everyone experiences life's hardships and have fallen once or twice, including myself. The best thing to do is keep on moving, because if you stop, you're gonna fall."
19. "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
21. "Without faith, nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible."
23. "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
Why the pared down style?
"Minimalist art is great. It's like a math equation with art. It takes a second or two to get it. There's a payoff there that you just can't get from looking at an illustration alone. Don't get me wrong I love all kinds of visual art. I'm super jealous of Illustrators and painters and the talent they have to create whatever is in the brains. I just get more excited over clever 'Oh I get it' kind of art."
26. "Whatever you are, be a good one."
28. "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
30. "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."
32. "Creativity is intelligence having fun."
34. "Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats."
36. "Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess."
38. "Without music, life would be a mistake."
40. "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
42. "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
44. "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
46. "Play it fuckin' loud!"
48. "Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."
50. "Nature never gives everything at once."
52. "You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
54. "But how could you live and have no story to tell?"
(H/T: Digital Synopsis)