Love 'em or hate 'em, kids can be hard to deal with. Sometimes the only way get through the day with your sanity intact is to inject some lightheartedness into exasperating situations.
Take a gander at Instagram account @kidsaretheworst, for example. Created by mom of four in Salt Lake City, Anna Macfarlane, the submissions are curated from the account's more than 100,000 followers about the shenanigans that their children get up to.
Because there's just some kind of twisted joy to parenting in their huge, huge messes.
1. "Mom, we're out of toilet paper."
3. "Waste not, want not."
4. "Don't touch the lid of the toilet with your hands — it's full of germs!"
5. "Hide and reek."
6. "HDTV is too realistic. Put a filter on that thing."
Macfarlane and her friends frequently discussed the trouble their own kids caused and when Instagram came along, she jumped on the opportunity to counterbalance all the glossy photos that other parents posted of their well-behaved children.
"When I started the account almost a year and a half ago," she told A Plus via email, "I pictured the new mother trying not to feel bad that her kids only had cereal for the last week and changed out of their pajamas once."
Because all parents know how difficult it is to even get kids to do anything ...
7. "The twins that smear dread wax on their faces together ... "
8. "'I see that she is taking my picture, but maybe she won't notice if I grab this last egg ... '"
9. "First the kid. Then the dog. Next the ants."
10. "Ronald McDonald would be proud. Mom, not so much."
11. "Whatcha lookin' for?"
12. "You're gonna need a notion of ways to clean up lotion."
Who else could possibly so deliberately cause mayhem without even a little sense of remorse? Not these kids, for sure ...
13. "How do you know when to hide all the markers?"
14. "If you really want to look your best, make sure you're squeaky clean."
15. "Cleanin' up!"
16. "The next best thing to a bidet."
17. "Don't touch the fish, tank you very much."
18. "'Don't look at me.'"
One thing's for sure — the life of a parent is one of unending chaos ...
19. "I didn't know that Cabbage Patch Dolls ate toilet paper. "
20. "Stuck hair, don't care."
21. "I'm dreaming of a Nutella castle with a Nutella moat surrounding the walls made of Nutella."
22. "And then this smell woke me up ... "
23. "Patriotic decorating."
24. "Terrible twos are totally tiring."
25. "Paint me like one of your French girls."
"It's a blast seeing all of these kids from all over the world just being normal and crazy kids," Macfarlane said.
After all, all the madness that comes with raising kids is part of the joy of being a parent.