This Newborn Could've Died From Being Kissed. All Parents Need To Read This

A hidden danger.

Claire Henderson of Doncaster, England, is turning a near-tragedy into an awareness campaign that could save lives. According to The Telegraph, a few days after being kissed on the mouth by a visitor, her newborn daughter Brooke suddenly broke out with cold sores around her mouth and face. 

A friend advised her to rush Brooke to the accident and emergency room at her local hospital immediately.

Doctors found that Brooke had been exposed to herpes simplex 1 virus, which can be lethal in children under 3 months.

Henderson shared this plea on Facebook. 

"Please share this with every new mum and pregnant woman you know ... COLD SORES CAN BE FATAL FOR A BABY. Before 3 months old a baby cannot fight the herpes virus. If a baby contracts this it can cause liver and brain damage and lead to death. I know this sounds like I am scaremongering but if my friend had not told me about this my baby girl could have been very seriously ill. I noticed the signs early and got her to A&E, we have now been in hospital on a drip for 3 days and have got another 2 to go. She was VERY lucky, all her tests came back clear. The moral of the story is DO NOT let anyone kiss your newborns mouth, even if they don't look like they have a cold sore — 85% of the population carry the virus. And if someone had a cold sore ask them to stay away until it has gone."

After five days on an antiviral drip, Brooke has fortunately recovered.

"Everyone who I have spoken to had not heard of this before," Henderson added, "and so I felt it was important to share Brooke's story and raise awareness to stop anyone else going through what we have this week."