British novelist L.P. Hartley once wrote, "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." Old photos prove that beautifully, while often still showing what neat continuity there is in people's behavior across generations. It's amazing that a lot of these photos exist, and it definitely makes us wish we had a time machine right about now.
1. Gotta learn to swim somehow.
2. The largest black sea bass ever caught, 425 pounds.
3. The only known person to ever be hit by a meteor.
4. Unimpressed political execution victim in Berlin, 1919.
5. Old Stockholm telephone tower connecting 5,000 phone lines.
6. Early football helmet tests.
7. Ku Klux Klan at a Colorado carnival in 1925.
8. Before Tinder.
9. World War II soldier suffering shell shock.
10. 1920s lifeguard/Freddie Mercury look-alike, ready to swim with his belt and keys.
11. Gas masks being used to avoid onion tears.
12. Disneyland lunch break, 1961.
13. The most dramatic duck hunting gun we've ever seen.
14. Suntan to go.
15. Japanese samurai.
16. Ronald McDonald in his early days/our nightmares.
17. Women delivering ice, 1918.
Like this story? Click the button below to share!