For all the beautiful places in the world that are swarmed with people — and there are many — it's another kind of beauty altogether to visit one that's been untouched for a very long time.
Whether abandoned for safety reasons, practical reasons or no reasons at all, these locations are hauntingly beautiful in that their emptiness is a footprint of what once was.
Check them out, but don't touch.
1. Tree growing through a piano
2. Overgrown palace, Poland
3. Jet Star rollercoaster, Seaside Heights, New Jersey
4. Shipwrecks, Bermuda Triangle
5. Floating forest, Sydney, Australia
6. Movie theater, Detroit, Michigan
7. Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, California
8. Victorian-style treehouse, Florida
9. Chemin de fer de Petite Ceinture, France
10. Spreepark, Berlin, Germany
12. Christopher McCandless’ magic bus, Stampede Trail, Alaska
13. Turquoise Canal, Venice, Italy
14. Staircase to nowhere, Pismo Beach, California
15. Abandoned mining track, Taiwan
17. Boathouse, Obersee Lake, Germany
18. Methodist church, Gary, Indiana
19. Church steeple peeking out of a frozen lake, Reschen, Italy
20. Glenwood power station, New York
21. Car graveyard, Ardennes, Belgium
22. Driverless bumper cars, Chernobyl, Ukraine