Commonly considered one of the all-time greatest catchers and a New York Yankees legend, Yogi Berra passed away of natural causes on Tuesday. He was 90 years old.
Known simply as Yogi, his cultural status due to an endless set of strange philosophies on baseball and life — "Yogi-isms," as they were called — overshadowed what an incredible player he was. An All-Star for 15 consecutive seasons, he was the centerpiece of a Yankees dynasty that won 10 championships.
Those Yogi-isms elevated him to something of an American hero beyond his achievements on the field, though. Something in his way with words struck a chord in people, with simple puns and sharp comments that made you smile at face value, but stuck with you because of the deep meaning held underneath.
Here are 17 of the best Yogi-isms from a man who truly understood how to live life the right way:
1. "It's déjà vu all over again."
Apparently this one came around in the 1960s when Yogi would witness Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle hit back-to-back home runs time and time again.
2. "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."
Maybe this is where Anchorman's legendary "Sixty percent of the time, it works every time" quote got its inspiration.
3. "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi was said to have been giving directions to his house in New Jersey when this quip originated. Not only does it literally make sense because both roads led to his house, but it teaches a good lesson: don't agonize over decisions. Just make one.
4. "You can observe a lot by watching."
5. “We made too many wrong mistakes.”
As opposed to right mistakes. There's a difference.
6. "Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too."
Get those priorities straight.
7. "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."
Starting to see the pattern in his thinking?
8. "In baseball, you don't know nothing."
The same goes for life, doesn't it? Be careful with predictions or assumptions.
9. “The future ain’t what it used to be.”
It just keeps changing.
10. “It gets late early out here.”
At least you can go to bed late earlier.
11. “I never said most of the things I said.”
Didn't you, Yogi?
12. “You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.”
13. “If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.”
And that's a beautiful thing.
14. “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
Sharp economical thinking.
15. “So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.”
16. “Pair up in threes.”
It's simple math.
17. "It ain't over 'til it's over."
The most famous one of them all. So true.