On Aug. 11, 2014, Robin Williams was found dead in his Marin County, Calif., home, the cause of which was eventually ruled as suicide. Although the world had just lost one of its most beloved actors and comedians, Williams' wife Susan Schneider stressed at the time that "it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."
In that spirit, on the year-anniversary of his passing, here are 14 quotes to remember why Robin Williams was so good at bringing us all joy and laughter:
1. "Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
2. "There's three things in this world that you need: Respect for all kinds of life, a nice bowel movement on a regular basis and a navy blazer."
3. "Sometimes you got to specifically go out of your way to get into trouble. It's called fun."
4. "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be."
5. "You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you win, no matter what the outcome."
6. "All you have to do is think one happy thought and you'll fly like me."
7. "But if there's love, dear ... those are the ties that bind and you'll have a family in your heart forever."
8. "Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts."
9. "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
10. "The human spirit is more powerful than any drug and THAT is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. THESE are the things that matter"
11. "You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
12. "Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party!'"
13. "Comedy is acting out optimism."
14. "Reality: What a concept!"